Friday, April 1, 2011

My Hero

Hugh suggested to us that if we all placed our trials in the middle of the room and had to choose which ones we wanted; each of us would gladly take ours back.  After sharing this with us, Hugh said, “I would take mine too.”

Why would he be so willing?  I think there are a couple obvious reasons.  1) He wouldn’t want anyone else to have to go through what he is, and 2) He is capable of dealing with this test maintaining his faith so that we all can learn and grow.

Sitting by Hugh’s side has built my faith, given me greater hope, and allowed me a chance to look into Heaven from here on earth.  I don’t want to let Hugh down by not learning from his extraordinary example.  I don’t want to have his pain and suffering be wasted on my lack of understanding.  I commit that I will observe with my heart so that the spirit that attends Hugh will settle in my soul.

Hugh, from the day I met you, in every engagement since, and forever more I will be a better person for having participated in your life.  You have never wavered in your belief, you have maintained a spirit of compassion, and you are completely dedicated to friends and family.

Thank you for your courage, for being unwavering, and for setting an example for us to live by!  May the windows of Heaven open ever so slightly to give you a glimpse of the magnitude of your character!  As a husband, father, son, brother, and friend, you have improved the world all around you. God Bless you to receive the desires of your heart to finish your journey in mortality as you would wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment