Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Funeral Plans

Hugh & Diane in Cozumel
We wanted to update all as to when Hugh's funeral will be. We are planning on having the viewing on Sunday evening around 6:00 p.m. at the Larkin Morturary off of 10600 South. (I will update the exact address when I know what it is!) The funeral is scheduled for Monday the 11th of April around noon. The funeral service will be held at the chapel that is across from our house, for those of you that know where we live! The burial will take place at the mortuary that is just down Bengal blvd. This information is vague but I wanted to let you know of the date for now. We will update again. Many have asked if our son, Daren is returning from his Mission for the funeral service. We have left this entirely up to Daren. Our Stake President and his Mission President were in full support as to what Daren felt that he needed to do. Daren has chosen to come home for the funeral service. I have to say, as a mother that I am absolutely thrilled. I never did tell him this because he needed to make this decision for himself. Myself and the kids have such support and love surrounding us. I feel that it is important for Daren to "close this chapter of his life." Daren has been so involved in Hugh's cancer from the beginning. He was involved in the decisions, care, going to appointments and such. I feel that he needs to be surrounded by loved ones that can comfort him at this time and offer support that we have all felt while going through these past few weeks. Daren is an amazing missionary and knows that the Lord is with him always, comforting him and watching over him. I shared with him, that I could not wait for the day that he could just be a missionary and not worry about things at home. We all know where Hugh is and it is beautiful. A friend reminded me that almost a year ago, Daren was involved in the "race for life" at the University of Utah. Hugh was a speaker at this event and shared his story and what he had learned from his cancer thus far. I can't believe that was a year ago. I am rambling now, but I wanted all to know of Daren's decision. He will be here for a short time but the purpose for his visit will be met and then he will return to the Mission field in Mexico. The kids and I spent 3 hours this morning trying to find the "perfect" plot for Hugh's burial. We were able to narrow our choices down to three. Conner and Libby decided that they were done with the decisions, so Grandma took them to breakfast. This left Jerry and I. First of all, Jerry and I are the WORST at making a decision. The mortuary was laughing at us because I was telling them that Jerry was the worst at helping me with a decision and my child that is more opinionated is in Mexico! Well, after much pondering and walking in the snow, we feel that we found the "perfect place" for Hugh! Searching for plots is not something that I ever thought that I would do at my age. Jerry and I kept laughing because we could just see Hugh looking down on us with absolute frustration and saying, "oh my fetch! Just make a decision and lets get out of here!" Friends and family, thank you and we love you. We are hanging in there!

4 comments:

  1. Diane,

    This is Brad Skinner. Cory gave me the news this morning about Hugh's passing and I just wanted you to know that you and your family are in our prayers. I'm glad Daren is coming home for the funeral. I'm sure it will be glad to have him here for a few days. We love you guys.

    -Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, maybe this will help:

    The viewing will be at:
    Larking Mortuary
    1950 East 10600
    Sandy, UT 84092-4708

    The funeral will be at:
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    3625 Doverhill Drive
    Salt Lake City, UT 84121

    And the Burial will be at
    Mountain View Memorial Mortuary & Cemetery
    3115 East 7800 South
    Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane....Tammi Williams gave me this blog site of Hugh's. I just want to let you know you and your family are in our prayers. The boys and I have such fond memories of Hugh and your family. You both are such great examples to us. We love you. We think about you often. Luv ya...Cathy, Shaun, Trevor and Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane,
    I just wanted you to know how much I love you guys. I am thinking of you and praying for peace and comfort for you and the family. I send my deepest condolences.

    Amy Hartman

    ReplyDelete