Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Another day gone by

Tomorrow is the day! FINALLY Hugh gets to come home to his own bed! Today was a much better day for Hugh. A friend, a brother and a brother-in-law all kept watch over Hugh today. He was able to eat a bit and work some with physical therapy. They say that Hugh is getting stronger. It really becomes quite a challenge to find time to sleep while in the hospital. He is very excited about being home. We were visiting quite late tonight. Libby insisted on bringing the dogs. They do allow pets. I don't know why but this surprised me. We determined that we would be pushing our luck by bringing both dogs so we opted for the one we could hide if we needed to.....Milly. She jumped right up on the bed with Hugh with her tail wagging rapidly. I wish I had a camera. It was a "Kodak moment!" I had to laugh because Hugh was a bit sarcastic and grumpy. Libby turned to me and whispered, "I think that dad is back!" Hugh insisted that I go to the Brighton soccer game this afternoon instead of coming to the hospital so I could give him a report. Nothing bothers him more than missing the kids games. The only problem is that I am not the best sports reporter. I never get the details quite as detailed as he would like them! I may have to turn this job over to someone else on the team! Conner and Jerry are spending the night with Hugh up at Huntsman. A little male bonding time. Hugh does not like to be alone and it is fun for the boys. Hugh completes his "total brain radiation" tomorrow while at Huntsman. After that we plan to bring him home. We received an e-mail from Daren this week. He is aware of the situation this past weekend. We all find such strength in his e-mails and letters. I copied a brief part of his letter below. "I was thinking about all of the memories we have (makin' memories!) and the good times and I just felt this overwhelming confirmation that I would never cease to have those experiences with my family, and that even though we have this not so easy, not so happy, not so wanted experience right now, it really is just a SPECK on the globe of eternity. Its moments like that that keep me going! I know everything will work out. Just keep your chins up and hang in there and know how much I love you and am praying for you. Stay strong family. I love you, Daren" It is difficult for Daren to be so far away from his family right now. We know that we are blessed for his service. He worries about us. I have reassured him that we have so much love and support surrounding us. He realizes that now and it has made it easier for him being away. Jerry has been such a support for us as well. He has fallen into that oldest sibling role now that Daren is not home. I referred to Daren the other day as "my rock". Jerry started laughing and said, "what does that make me? Your pebble!" So we determined that when Jerry leaves for the "Y" this summer then Conner will be the "grain of sand!" Every day I am filled with such joy and appreciation for the love and support from so many people. Just know that we could not do this without such good friends and family. We have learned so much from others through this process. From food, helping with laundry, helping with the yard, playing taxi for Hugh's treatments, just "sitting" with Hugh, driving our kids to soccer, driving to piano, cleaning, helping with my "honey do list", sending funny text messages to make us laugh, taking us to lunch, diet cokes, praying for us, kind words, hugs. I could go on and on. I start to think of all the love we feel and it makes me cry. I know that we will be watched over in this difficult time. We are so blessed. We have each other and have all of you as well. Thank you for watching out for our kids. For now, we look forward to days at home together. We look forward to watching more soccer games, even if it is from the car. The journey continues and each day we find joy in some small way.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds great that Hugh will be home soon. When you report to Hugh about the games, just blame anything that goes wrong on the ref. Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I go through life experiencing different aspects of mortality, I always reflect back on what we share in common as citizen of earth. One universal thought is each of us carries with us an inner sense which is magnified by circumstance. Hugh today is faced with an unusually high emotional state as he deals with his illness; it is a simple observation that I want to share.

    Not long ago I sat with my father, who at the time was dealing with a similar state of affairs as Hugh. Dad shared with me something I will never forget as his words penetrated my soul. As a family we had prayed, offered blessings, and did everything we could to extend his life; selfishly I soon learned.

    Dad in a quite private moment gave me a glimpse into eternity. He said, “Son, I am at the end of my path on top of the hill, I have turned around looking at my life, it was a good time and I am proud of what I have done. Please, let me take the next step; I am ready.” From that moment on I have been extraordinarily sensitive to individuals’ wisdom in finding their path back home.

    Hugh and I haven’t visited about this but I feel his heart is beginning to walk down that familiar road; his inner voice is becoming clearer every day. And while I believe he would desire more time, he also knows he has been given more than others may ever enjoy. His knowledge of purpose has increased and is bringing him comfort. In the time he has been blessed with here on earth, his heart is receiving validation of “Mission accomplished; I have done all I needed to do.”

    So while he isn’t as old as the mountains, he has made it to the top. Hugh did this faster than the rest of us. As he reflects back on the gift of life, family, friends, faith, and understanding he has found comfort. What lies ahead is as exciting as those experiences he felt when he came here into mortality. Hugh knows he will always be with us regardless of mortal existence. He is aware there are things to do, places to go, and I sense, he has the feeling life is calling him onto the next challenge.

    Jaren

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a wonderful report to read! Love that 'pebble' and 'grain of sand'...great kiddos. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane and Hugh,
    So glad you gave Tamara your blog address so we could keep updated. And we are glad Hugh is home now with you again. You are far away but in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, I was so grateful that Cheryl shared your blog with me. I pray for you and Hugh and you're incredible children. Love ya!!
    ~Kirsten Graff Beyer

    ReplyDelete